CMS vs HTML Websites at VCN
- pre-installed layouts
- easy to get started
- easy to configure pages and layout
- pre-installed web applications
- custom VCN subdomain (http://yourcompany.vcn.bc.ca)
- well known language
- highly customizable page layouts
- many html editors available
- many customized web applications
- compatible with many other languages and applications
- preset VCN subdomain (http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~username)
Managing VCN Web Pages
How to Create a website for a Non-Profit Oganization
- Sign Up your organization for a VCN Group Account
- (optional) If you need a name for your website, first, buy a name from a provider such as Webnames, GoDaddy, Namecheap, etc. Charges vary for registering website names (domain names), and the group is responsible for paying these fees and maintaining the account with the provider (known as a “domain name registrar”). Once you have your name, submit the Domain Name Hosting Application form at VCN.
- Fill out the Memorandum of Understanding (printable)and fax it or mail it to VCN. The Community Group is responsible for supplying the Administrative contact and all other group related information.
- Fax: 1-855-299-0647
- Address: Vancouver Community Network 280 – 111 West Hastings St. Vancouver, BC, V6B 1H4
- Register email accounts and set up webpages for your Community Group. For groups switching from another Internet Service Provider to Vancouver Community Network, this must be done prior to the following steps, otherwise there maybe a disruption in service (i.e. email will be undeliverable or webpage will be unavailable).
- Change the DNS servers (also known as “nameservers”) for your website to point to the VCN nameservers. There should be a method to do this provided by your domain name registrar. The change of nameservers may take several days. The VCN nameservers are the following:
- Primary nameserver: ns1.vcn.bc.ca
- IP Address: 126.96.36.199
- Secondary nameserver: ns2.vcn.bc.ca
- IP Address: 188.8.131.52
How to Create a VCN Personal Page
When you sign up for a VCN Individual Account, there are three steps that you must do before you get your personal page online:
- Create a folder named webdata in your personal space. The easiest way is by send such a folder using File Transfer Protocol (FTP) with a computer program such as FileZilla.
- Create a homepage for your site and name it either welcome.html or index.html.
- Upload your homepage to your webdata folder by using FTP.
There are many different FTP clients that are out there, but one free FTP client that we use is Filezilla. After you install Filezilla, you can use the QuickConnect to connect to your Individual account by entering in the following:
- Host: www.vcn.bc.ca
- Enter in your VCN username and password in the two fields
- The FTP port is 21
The files on your computer will then be shown in the left panel and your personal space will be shown on the right side panel. Here you can create the webdata folder and upload files and HTML pages that will make up your personal webpage.
Incorrect or Unknown Password
If you do not have your password, please see the Account section of the help pages for a Group Password reset. Or phone, 778-724-0826, or email our Help Desk.
Changing your Domain Name(For Groups)
If you would like to change your VCN subdomain (yourcompany.vcn.bc.ca or www.vcn.bc.ca/yourcompany) to your own domain (yourcompany.com) please see our section on the Services for Groups page.
There are two steps: First is to buy the domain name from a domain registration company. Once you have bought the domain, fill our the VCN Memorandum of Understanding and fax it to 1-855-299-0647, or bring it to our office in person. You may also follow up by email.
Some quick solutions to common FTP errors: make sure to login using the correct domain, username, and password. Also, make sure you are uploading to the correct folder. For websites hosted on the VCN server, the correct folder is webdata, which must be created manually for personal sites.
If you have recently bought your own domain name, (yourcompany.com), and it is not working yet, it sometimes takes a few days for the domain name to point to your VCN website. Please contact the company that is hosting your domain name for more information.
Here are some helpful, step-by-step tutorials created by us made just for you.