Internet virus infections are best managed by preventing them from happening in the first place. Proactive measures and educated practices are the best protection against internet parasites. Protect your computer with both an active virus scanner and firewall. Always get the latest updates for windows and the virus protection software in order for the virus protection to work.
We recommend the following free antiviral and firewall software:
- http://free.avg.com – AVG Free
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php – Ad-Aware Free
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx – Windows Defender
- http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ – Online Virus Scanner
- http://www.zonealarm.com – ZoneAlarm Firewall
Recommended Sites of Reading
Free Encryption Software
Free (List of tools)
Most of the software you need is available for free.
You can search for specific software you want on these sites:
http://download.cnet.com – Download the most popular freeware and shareware programs.
Sourceforge – SourceForge.net is the world’s largest Open Source software development website, with the largest repository of Open Source code and applications available on the Internet.
http://cln.vcn.bc.ca/basicskills1 – Excellent for first time computer users!
http://www.ckls.org/~crippel/computerlab/tutorials/mouse/page1.html – Learn and practice using the mouse cursor.
http://www.w3schools.com/ – Web design and programming.