“Information is the currency of modern life. This has been properly called the information age. The free exchange of information amongst members of society has long been recognized as a public good.”
– Mr. Justice James K. Hugessen.
The Vancouver CommunityNet is making this information available in the hope that charitable status will help community networks across the country in their daily fundraising struggles. We would like to recognize Bill Andrews, James Aldridge and Marcus Bartley for their hard work on the case.
Here is some background information, including the full text of the decision and a kit to apply for Charitable Status for your CommunityNet.
- VCN’s charitable status application
- Charitable Incorporation Kit on Industry Canada CAP web site
- Important Excerpts from the Court’s decision.
- Full text of the Court’s decision. (fairly long)
- July 10 1996 media release from the CommunityNet.
- 1993 Letter from Revenue Canada to the National Capital FreeNet, Ottawa, refusing charitable tax status.