British Columbia Problem Gambling Help Line open 24 hrs 7 days per week:
Deaf or hearing-impaired (collect calls accepted): (604) 875-0885
The signs below may indicate a problem. The more signs a person shows, the greater the likelihood that he or she may have lost control of their gambling.
- Gambling for longer and longer periods of time
- Lying about the extent of gambling involved e
- Often missing work or school to gamble
- Neglecting personal or family responsibilities to gamble
- Using gambling as an escape
- Gambling with money needed for paying bills
- Believing the “big win” will bring gambling under control
The government established its Responsible Gambling Strategy to promote responsible gambling and effectively addresses problem gambling. As part of this Strategy, the Problem Gambling Program provides free counselling services to problem gamblers and others who may be affected by problem gambling behaviour. The Strategy’s goals are to:
- Create public awareness of risks associated with gambling;
- Deliver gambling in a manner that encourages responsible gambling and informed choice; and
- Provide treatment and support to those impacted by problem gambling.