Who we are
The Vancouver Community Network strives to be an inclusive, multicultural, community-based organization which ensures the free, accessible electronic creation and exchange of the broadest range of information, experience, ideas and wisdom.
The Vancouver Community Network owns, operates and promotes a free, publicly accessible, non-commercial, community computer utility in the Lower Mainland of BC which provides a public space on the Internet.
Peter Royce– April 5, 1953 to November 4, 2009
Peter Royce has served VCN and its members with great dedication, devotion and support from 1996 until 2006, when he had to stop working due to his health. His main vision was that one day the Internet will be accessible by anyone in the community, the same way as public goods (like highways, libraries and schools) are accessible to the public. Read more
To encourage the broadest possible participation of community and non-profit organizations in making their information available on the CommunityNet.
- To work with community and non-profit organizations to make VCN a community building tool.
- To support individuals and organizations in building and maintaining public space on the Internet internationally.
- To work with other BC and Canadian Community Networks, such as Telecommunities Canada, to support Canadian community computer networks.
- To educate and encourage the public in the use of the Internet.
- To work toward the widest possible public access to the Internet, government and other information through Community Networks, other non-profit organizations, such as libraries, and other public access sites.
- To expand the multicultural and inclusive nature of the Vancouver CommunityNet.
- To expand and strengthen the membership and user base of VCN.
- To build sustainability through ongoing funding, a strong and effective board and staff, and operational and financial accountability.
- To encourage the development of a wide range of electronic community information and communications